Re: For First-Time Users of X-Server

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Adam Myrow wrote:

> You should never have to set the DISPLAY variable unless you are trying to
> redirect your monitor's output in X to somebody else's computer.  You
> should be able to type "startx" and it should come up.  If it returns you
> to a command prompt, it means that your X server isn't set up right for
> some reason.  How you set it up depends a lot on your distribution.  Some
> set it up automatically and others make you do it manually.  Slackware has
> a program called xfree86setup which can be run to try and set up X, and
> Redhat tries to do it at installation.  I think you can also configure X
> in Redhat from the setup command.  If all else fails, there is xf86config,
> which should work on all distributions, but it does absolutely nothing
> automatically.  You have to know your video card, how much memory it has,
> and what refresh rates and resolutions are supported by your monitor.  It
> won't stop you from telling flat out lies.  Another thing to keep in mind
> is that if you didn't set your default window manager when you set up X,
> there's no telling what you'll end up in.  If you aren't sure, put a file
> in your home directory called .xinitrc and put the single line "exec
> gnome-session" in it.  Good luck.

Adam,

You seem to have missed the point of what I was asking.

For instance, if I use startx to get the server running, and then, for
example, I try and install Open Office from the consol, I get an error
from GTK stating that it couldn't contact the display, and the application
moans that it couldn't contact the X server, despite the fact that the X
server is running.   This also means that I can't start my X server at
boot time (I have users who would like to use it via ssh) and then start
things like Gnopernicus later on when I want to use them.

Cheers.

--
Toby Fisher	Email: toby tjfisher co uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239