For First-Time Users of X-Server

Hello,

When I started testing Gnome and Gnopernicus I had problems because I
didn't know how the X-Server operated, so I thought that some notes might
be useful to others on this list.

First, the X-Server deos not run it the virtural console from which you
start gnome, assuming you are using a text console. Rather, the X-Server
seeks out the first unused tty and grabs it. On most systems thais is
tty7. You can switch to another console, whether text or GUI, with
control-alt-Fn. To get back to Gnome, you must switch to the tty in which
the X-Server is running, NOT to the one in which you typed startx.

2. If you modify Mario's driver you must change the tty which it requests
to the one that the X-Server is using. To do this, open ttybrl.c in a text
editor, look for the word "request". The function which requests the tty
is a few lines below.

3> the X-Server can be terminated by control-alt-backspace in the tty on
which it is running, but this often does not work and may leave processes
hanging. Others have reported the latter, but it has never happened to me.
Any messages will appear on the console where you typed startx. I assume
that logging out on this console and then logging back in will get rid of
any hung processes.

4. For brltty users: Most of the functions of brltty will continue to
operrate. You can use the arrow key combinations, and if the driver
for your braille display supports keyboard emulation you can use the key
combination for enter and type text on the braille keyboard. However the
console-switching functions do not work. For that you must use
control-alt-Fn on the computer keyboard.

Hope this helps.

John

--
Computers to Help People, Inc.