Re: Now Getting Braille Output From Gnopernicus

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:08:42PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 11:57, Irene Ryan wrote:
> > I have just started gathering some information to write a chapter on
> > Gnopernicus for the GNOME Accessibility Guide. The focus of the
> > chapter would be on using Gnopernicus but I can also include the
> > necessary information about how to set it up or at least pointers to
> > where the setup is already documented, if that's the case.
>
> It seems like there probably needs to be a separate 'build and
> installation' guide for most of GNOME, but for a11y in particular- the
> average user of a11y probably doesn't want to/can't build it themselves,
> but the average tester/developer clearly needs help with it. Seems like
> putting all the documentation in one doc probably ignores that, doesn't
> it?

I have already started pulling together the stuff for this, but it's the
third document on my list, so it will be a few days before I get to it
(the other two are nearly done).  I want to write something that
describes how to build GNOME from scratch from CVS or from tarballs,
including how to only build portions of the platforms (so including
dependencies, etc).

The document will be independent of the use of garnome or jhbuild or
vicious-build-scripts or anything like that. However, it will explain
what those scripts are doing (the idea is to have an appendix or
something that describes the above tools for automated builds). I am a
big believer in giving people enough information to build things for
themselves without saying "you must use script XXX".  It is a continual
disappointment to me that the README for a GNOME platform or desktop
release does not contain at least a build order for the released
tarballs.

Malcolm

--
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.