Re: Questions about building Gnopernicus

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 06:39:22PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> Hi.  I just got on this list hoping to get some help with building
> Gnopernicus.  I am quite interested in working with it and seeing what
> state it is in and what still needs doing.  I have been trying to build it
> and am having an awful time getting it to build.

[...]
> Well, as for actually building Gnopernicus, I got Festival compiled and it
> is working.  I am using Slackware 9.0 which comes with Gnome 2.2.  I
> tried to compile the Gnome-speech library and was told that I needed
> something called Gnome-common in order to get it to compile.  There is no
> mention on the Gnopernicus website of this that I could find.  Anyhow, I
> checked out Gnome-common from CVS and in trying to build it, I discovered
> it is expecting automake 1.4.  I have automake 1.7.  It even invokes
> automake as "automake-1.4."  I finally downloaded automake 1.4 and built
> it with "./configure --program-suffix=-1.4."

For a long time now, automake has automatically been built with the
binary as automake-1.4. This is so that is parallel installable with
later verison of automake.

> This created the binaries and when I installed them into
> /usr/local/bin, they came out with names like automake-1.4.  This
> satisfied the autogen.sh for Gnome-common and I attempted to build
> Gnome-common again.  This time, it couldn't find libtool.m4.  I got
> around this by making a symbolic link from
> /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 to /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
> I wanted the older automake in /usr/local so it wouldn't overwrite any
> files from version 1.7.

You could install them in the same prefix, since they are parallel
installable, as mentioned above. However, you might be able to get away
with doing the links on demand if you are careful.

> This finally got Gnome-common to build.  I then tried
> to build Gnome-speech and it started complaining about being unable to
> find libraries for gnome-2.0.  Since I have 2.2, it was thinking it
> couldn't find the libraries.  That's as far as I've gotten before getting
> frustrated.

Some more details about which libraries it is after might help.
_Nothing_ reports an error message saying "I need a library from GNOME
2.0", so you are deducing this from the version numbers of the library
or something. If you provide the exact error, then we might be able to
help further.

> So, what do I do now?  Why was Gnome-common designed to call
> automake-1.4 while its error messages imply that you can use any
> version newer than 1.3?  Do I have to have Gnome 2.0 as well as 2.2 to
> get Gnome-speech to build?

In order:
	- gnome-common uses automake-1.4 since you need automake-1.4 and
	  automake-1.6 or automake-1.7 to build GNOME 2.0, 2.2 or 2.3.
	  So the requirement is not onerous.

	- The error message is just old. If you file a bug in bugzilla,
	  I will remember to update it.

	- You do not need to have GNOME 2.0 installed to build GNOME 2.2
	  or gnome-speech. A lot of us build in sandboxes to ensure that
	  nothing gets sucked in from other builds.

Thanks.