Re: [g-a-devel] Accessibility in Preferred Applications

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 09:49 -0600, George Kraft IV wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:33 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
George, could we also add a direct launch button for each of these
apps? 'Launch now'. We will likely need to add that feature in Ubuntu
because we prefer to remove the pre-installed applications from the
Applications menu.
I think that feature enhancement would be up to the gnome control center
maintainers to add across Preferred Applications.

I think it makes sense. Luca, what do you think?
Do you really want to add a button to start the web browser from within Preferred Applications? That's likely to have a launcher on the panel, in the menu and possibly on the user's keyboard as well.

As for adding the AT apps to the preferred apps capplet, it makes also a
lot of sense to me, and will help in removing the at capplet (right?),
which is part of our plan (reducing the number of capplets as much as
possible), so if Luca agrees, please go ahead.

I agree that it's a good idea to reduce the number of caplets.

I don't think accessibility will fit very well as a whole under Preferred Applications though. It's not where you would expect to look for those features.

There are other desktop features that are linked in with accessibility that are currently not referred to, such as keyboard modifiers, mouse alternatives, themes and fonts. See this spec for a suggestion on incorporating them: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/CommonATConfig

There are still new areas where accessibility provision should expand and with that we will get more settings. Fitting all that inside Preferred Applications will be tight.

The other major desktop environments (OS X, KDE, Windows) all have a separate config utility for 'Universal Access' which is where users expect to find it.

Henrik