[g-a-devel] gnome/gpe and speech/braille on embedded systems (crossposted)

first of all: sorry for crossposting this as I don't know which of these
4 lists is the most appropriate for this question (specially the 2
gnome-accessibility lists).
(note: please also reply in private, thanx)

I have been doing some research if it is at all possible to get
gnome (or gpe for that matter as a pocket alternative) working on an
embedded system (pda).
For GPE that's not much of a problem.

Only extra issue I need to address and on which I need some help is, how
to get it accessible.

As I understand, gnopernicus development has nearly stopped and orca as
well as lsr are respective nextgen replacements for it.
I could be wrong in this, please correct me and please do not take offense
to this query.

I also understand that speechsynthesis is too cpu-heavy for embedded
systems (pda's).

Specificly, I have 3 pda's lying around here which would be really
intersting to get them accessible with a graphical interface.
Console would be less of a problem with a good braille display.
However, most good PIM toosl and other software for pda's (even under
linux) are graphical in nature.

pda's:
- sharp zaurus sl-c860 and sl-c3200
- toshiba e740 with external keyboard

Any and all information, pointers and notes to help me out would be really
welcome.
I'm not that good in hardware programmign and such (as I'm more of a
network/security person).

Let's hope we can get this working, would be good to serve as an
alternative for windblozeCE pda's and possibly lateron also for support on
linux-embedded mobile phones or internet tablets.

kind regards,

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor nl linux org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor