Re: [g-a-devel] Accessibility in Preferred Applications

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 12:12 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 09:49 -0600, George Kraft IV wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:33 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> > > George, could we also add a direct launch button for each of these
> > > apps? 'Launch now'. We will likely need to add that feature in Ubuntu
> > > because we prefer to remove the pre-installed applications from the
> > > Applications menu.
> >
> > I think that feature enhancement would be up to the gnome control center
> > maintainers to add across Preferred Applications.
> >
> I think it makes sense. Luca, what do you think?
>
> As for adding the AT apps to the preferred apps capplet, it makes also a
> lot of sense to me, and will help in removing the at capplet (right?),
> which is part of our plan (reducing the number of capplets as much as
> possible), so if Luca agrees, please go ahead.

Hi,
I can agree integrating George additions to preferred apps capplet but
if the AT tab will need to include some other options other than screen
reader, magnifier and on-screen keyboard (as suggested by the work done
by Ubuntu people) there will be the risk to pollute it too much and
preferred apps probably won't be the right place. My other concern is
that when integrated, it will have to follow HIG for UI, so it will not
be able to have huge buttons and text messages, or highly contrasted
colours. Having a dedicated capplet will probably also be more easy to
discover for people who need it.
To summarize, if the AT options will always be those three (screen
reader, magnifier and on-screen keyboard) go ahead. If you are planning
to add also other AT options or need to make AT tab not HIG compliant to
help people use it, well... Maybe we should start reducing capplet
number by looking somewhere else.

Luca