Re: [g-a-devel] [discovered] any idea what could be causing the bug #171465 in gnome-mag

Hi Bill,

I discovered what is causing the error. The zoom_region->priv->pixmap and zoom_region->priv->scaled_pixbuf is not setted correctly when we have vertical split mode with the magnified area left part of the screen or horizontal split mode with the magnified area in the top of the screen.

I will try to develop an patch for it in this weekend. I will be busy today to do it, but if you want to test it and find easy to fix it do the following to make the error disappear:

alter the function zoom_region_create_pixmap to:

long width = 1024 * zoom_region->xscale;
long height = 768 * zoom_region->xscale;

and add the following to the function zoom_region_set_viewport after the dispose and allocation of zoom_region->priv->pixmap the following:

if (zoom_region->priv->scaled_pixbuf)
               g_object_unref (zoom_region->priv->scaled_pixbuf);
zoom_region->priv->scaled_pixbuf =
         gdk_pixbuf_new (GDK_COLORSPACE_RGB, FALSE, 8,
                 1024 * zoom_region->xscale + 1,
                 768 * zoom_region->yscale + 1);

Like you see I test it in 1024x768.

Now you can do what Dragan Sarbut described in the first post in bugzilla and now the magnification works.

By the way, I think that the space allocated, in the original code, to pixmap and scaled_pixbuf are too big, this is made this way to cache magnified areas?

Best regards,
Carlos.

Bill Haneman wrote:

Hi Carlos:

The problem with values being reset by gnopernicus is a gnopernicus bug. I do not know whether it is fixed in CVS HEAD or not.

Once you set your system up for horizontal magnification, it is expected to work correctly after restarting gnopernicus. You should only need to do this once, unless you are frequently changing your magnified region bounds. It also seems to me that for many reasons you might get better results using fullscreen magnification instead; this is documented in the Gnome Accessibility Guide for gnome 2.10.

I cannot reproduce the problem you are seeing with horizontal magnification on my system.

Bill

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diogenes wrote:

Bill Haneman wrote:

Carlos

Sorry, I think restarting gnopernicus is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in this case.

If it's work it's a solution, but in the user standpoint have to do this type of thing is not very confortable.

I do not see the bug on my system using gnopernicus. Are you using gnome-mag in standalone mode, is that what you are saying?

I do it using gnopernicus. To be more precisely I'm using the 1024x768 resolution and put the following values in gnopernicus:

Left: 359
Top: 0
Right: 1022
Bottom: 450

Applyed and the magnified screen stay gray. I restarted gnopernicus and it still stay gray.

I put too the following values to take an horizontal split mode:

Left: 0
Top: 0
Right: 1022
Bottom: 350

And the magnified screen stay gray too. Only a really small part of the user screen is magnified, this part is immediately below the magnified area.

Other thing that I noticed is that if the Rigth option is set to 1023 when gnopernicus is restarted the Left option is setted to 511.

Carlos.

The steps in the control-client test you give is not something an end-user would normally need to do. I would recommend starting the magnifier with 'magnifier -mh' if you want horizontal magnification.

Bill

By the way... restart gnopernicus is not the right way to resolve the things, but I can't make the magnifier show the right image in any way and you say me that it's working in your system, so I can't go to anywhere. Do you have any idea what I could do?

Maybe this way the question become more clear: In gnome-mag code, what could be causing this stranger behavior? Because I analyze the code and it appear ok, but It does not work properly.

If you run in your prompt:

#: magnifier -mv
#: ./control-client T
#: ./control-client b

You stay with I gray magnifier screen, do you know why or where to start investigating to resolve this?

Bill