Re: API freeze release ... status so far.

On 3 Aug 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:

> > FWIW my personal view is that the whole sound thing in libgnome is
> > pointless, because no one turns sounds on, because we don't have any
> > good sounds. And sounds are annoying even if you have good ones, most
> > people don't them on in Windows either I don't think.
>
> Having event sounds in libgnome is sort of a "whatever" issue compared
> to picking and running with a media and/or sound API. aRTs is OK, but it
> would seem prudent to eventually add a full media API to the mix (and I
> presume gstreamer can use arts). "Playing movies" is currently one of
> the surprisingly few things a GNOME desktop is completely incompetent at
> that has become a basic part of commercial desktops.

Well, 'what is our multimedia strategy' is the wrong kind of discussion to
have 3 days after API freeze.

> If we plan to release a GStreamer-based media player with GNOME as an
> application for 2.0, it seems reasonable to include it in the official
> libraries.

This doesn't follow. Gstreamer is really a media middleware, and not
including libgstreamer.so (or whatever it is called) in the libaries does
not really afftect the ability to ship it as either core program or a
fifth toe program. It has an audio output plugin for artsd.

OTOH - gstreamer is a large API, some of which is low level (and x86
specific), it has it's own APIs (and code) for configuration/propeties and
XML. Aka a mess.

> -Seth

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.