Re: newbie question: howto start using glom ?

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 10:42 -0400, nwm csur ca wrote:
Hi!

[Norman]
Glom shows an "Open failed" alarm with "The document could not be
opened".
I click on the "OK" button.

[Murray]
So this is where it goes wrong. I've seen this happen once before, but I
can't reproduce it here now. Could you please file a bug, with the log
details that you found below. Maybe we can investigate it further.

I think it might be due to the pre-existing postgresql process
monopolizing a resource the postgresql process started by glom
does require in order to start - something like a socket or
port number...  As a matter of fact, running "ps fax" (while
glom was thus blocked waiting for postgresql) shows only a
single postgresql set of processes: the pre-existing server
and its children processes...  As if the postgresql process
started by glom was blocked from starting by the system, i.e.:
for lack of a necessary resource...

I don't think so. But you could test your theory by stopping the main
postgres server before starting glom. In Ubuntu you can do that with the
Services control panel.

But unfortunately for now I don't have a solution to this problem for
you.

You might try creating from an example, but using the server instead of
the "in-a-folder" option. For that you will need to setup postgres
appropriately on your PC:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Initial_Postgres_Configuration

Indeed, that works!  Thanks a lot, Murray!