Re: newbie question: howto start using glom ?

Hi!

[Norman]
Glom shows an "Open failed" alarm with "The document could not be
opened".
I click on the "OK" button.

[Murray]
So this is where it goes wrong. I've seen this happen once before, but I
can't reproduce it here now. Could you please file a bug, with the log
details that you found below. Maybe we can investigate it further.

I think it might be due to the pre-existing postgresql process
monopolizing a resource the postgresql process started by glom
does require in order to start - something like a socket or
port number...  As a matter of fact, running "ps fax" (while
glom was thus blocked waiting for postgresql) shows only a
single postgresql set of processes: the pre-existing server
and its children processes...  As if the postgresql process
started by glom was blocked from starting by the system, i.e.:
for lack of a necessary resource...

But unfortunately for now I don't have a solution to this problem for
you.

You might try creating from an example, but using the server instead of
the "in-a-folder" option. For that you will need to setup postgres
appropriately on your PC:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Initial_Postgres_Configuration

Indeed, that works!  Thanks a lot, Murray!

Bye for now!
             Norman.