[Glade-devel] Spurious Requires in gladeui-1.0.pc?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Debarshi Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
Glade needs libxml to link and run
so that needs to stay

The pkgconfig file is not checked when Glade is run. As glade and
libgladeui links to libxml2.so.2, the glade3 and glade3-libgladeui
packages would have a runtime dependency on libxml2.

Now the *.pc files are a part of the -devel or -dev subpackages. If
libxml2 is mentioned in gladeui-1.0.pc, then glade3-libgladeui-devel
gets a runtime dependency on libxml2-devel, which does not seem
necessary.

Since the *.pc files are only consulted at build time, usually by the
configure script, it can not do much to enforce any runtime
requirements. It can only enforce compile time requirements. For
example, after successfully building and installing glade someone can
try to delete libxml2.so.2 and the only barrier would be a
distribution's package management system and not the gladeui-1.0.pc.

Sure, we can only do what we can, if you're developing with the Glade
headers you need a functional installation of the Glade core, which
means you need libxml2, whether you need to specify -lxml2 to link
against libgladeui I think is irrelevant here.