From: Gene Heskett
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2020 7:38 PM
To: Rick Strong
Cc: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] text mode, need instruct sequence

On Friday 02 October 2020 18:36:07 you wrote:

Gene,

By my reckoning, an 18 px letter is less than 1 pt high on an 300 dpi
print—virtually invisible. Try setting the text size to 18 pts.
(POINTS, not pixels) to be legible.

I have done that, Rick, but 18 pts isn't near big enough for older eyes
either, so you backspace to get rid of the dust specs, look up to the
text box and its reset to 18px. Frustrating is a very weak description.
You spend 10 minutes bounceing from one place in that tool, to another
trying to get it to keep what you selected long enough to type one line
of text. Repeat for every line of text you want to overlay on a pix.

Good luck.

I don't need luck, I need instructions that work, please read my whole
message.

RS

My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND setting
anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it back to sans
font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing ANY of those
settings should change them at the very least for the lifetime of the
current session. ANY TIME YOU CHANGE ONE THING, IT RESETS EVERYTHING
ELSE BACK TO THE DEFAULTS. INCLUDING CHANGING WHERE YOU WANT TO PUT IT
BY LEFT CLICKING THE SCREEN WHERE YOU WANT TO START TYPING. And if your
put it here click is too high, the box disappears under the friggin
ruler at the top of the screen so that you can't see if its decided to
restore all the defaults

Since you have not addressed my main bitch at all, how about telling us
how to change the text defaults to something that IS usable and by
makeing those the defaults, 90% of the frustrations would be addressed.
Maybe _you_ have a sequence that works, but no one has told the users.
Put it in a format I can print and tape to the wall for next time.