Re: [Gimp-user] Orientations, Copyright Notices, metadata, and resized layers

On 10/2/20 5:57 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
You need to really download them and view them in the gimp and examine
the exif because on the original images coming out of the camera, SOME
applications, like new firefox, read the camera's orientation data
and display accordingly.  Some applications do not.  The solution is
to actually rotate the actual image.

Actually, if I was going to modernize this, there would be 2 options,
one to just rotate by chaning the exif data, and one to physically
rotate the image.

Thanks for the additional information (this message and the other
message).   I actually DID download both images and I opened them in
GIMP 2.10.20 on Ubuntu 20.04 Linux.  I opened the original image in
Firefox and it was rotated by 90-degress counter-clockwise, so it
appeared like this:

https://imgur.com/a/S5RRJE8

Of course, my highlighting in red didn't appear.  :)    So, then I
opened the original photo in GIMP and I was asked if I wanted to rotate
the photo or not, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/a/eICgy7a

When I opened the rotated photo you posted the link to, the "After"
photo, GIMP prompted me to rotate the photo, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/kozuYXt

Are you getting the same prompts from GIMP, when you open the photos?
If so, which option do you choose?

Anyway, when I open the original photo in GIMP and choose "rotate", I
made NO other changes and simply exported the rotated image.  Then, I
opened that image in Firefox and it appeared correct:

https://imgur.com/a/tsgEiGF

I haven't touched ANY EXIF settings at all and when exporting from GIMP,
I used the export defaults, for JPEG, which included EXIF, XMP, and IPTC
information being saved with the file.  I think I understand your issue
with the image getting rotated unexpectedly, but I'm not necessarily
sure GIMP is at fault, at least not based on the steps I followed.

When you load the images, are you getting different results?  Which
version of GIMP are you using and on which operating system?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom