Re: [Gimp-user] text mode, need instruct sequence

On Friday 02 October 2020 21:02:35 Rick Strong wrote:

My eyes are nearly 80 years old, I am going blind in one of them and I
can easily read 18 pt type. Anyway, you need something larger. OK. Try
double clicking on the "A" tool and setting the type specs in the
dialogue/tab that comes up on the right. Screenshot attached. I assume
you are using the latest version.

No, stretch is 2.8, so totally different view, that double-click worked.
But the save didn't, on rerunning orvile it was back to 18px. But it
seems to have saved for the session, which is a huge help.  Thank you.
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Heskett
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2020 7:38 PM
To: Rick Strong
Cc: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] text mode, need instruct sequence

On Friday 02 October 2020 18:36:07 you wrote:
Gene,

By my reckoning, an 18 px letter is less than 1 pt high on an 300
dpi print—virtually invisible. Try setting the text size to 18 pts.
(POINTS, not pixels) to be legible.

I have done that, Rick, but 18 pts isn't near big enough for older
eyes either, so you backspace to get rid of the dust specs, look up to
the text box and its reset to 18px. Frustrating is a very weak
description. You spend 10 minutes bounceing from one place in that
tool, to another trying to get it to keep what you selected long
enough to type one line of text. Repeat for every line of text you
want to overlay on a pix.

Good luck.

I don't need luck, I need instructions that work, please read my whole
message.

RS

My whole point is that there is no way to set the defaults AND setting
anything else restores the default of 18 px, switches it back to sans
font, and the selected color back to black.  Changing ANY of those
settings should change them at the very least for the lifetime of the
current session. ANY TIME YOU CHANGE ONE THING, IT RESETS EVERYTHING
ELSE BACK TO THE DEFAULTS. INCLUDING CHANGING WHERE YOU WANT TO PUT IT
BY LEFT CLICKING THE SCREEN WHERE YOU WANT TO START TYPING. And if
your put it here click is too high, the box disappears under the
friggin ruler at the top of the screen so that you can't see if its
decided to restore all the defaults

Since you have not addressed my main bitch at all, how about telling
us how to change the text defaults to something that IS usable and by
makeing those the defaults, 90% of the frustrations would be
addressed. Maybe _you_ have a sequence that works, but no one has told
the users. Put it in a format I can print and tape to the wall for
next time.