[Gimp-user] "Best" format for multiple layers

What type of blending are you looking to do?  Is it manual blending
with
masks in GIMP or combining multiple exposures for some other reason?

I only ask because if it's multiple stacked images to create HDR
there's
other tools that might be better suited for the job (LuminanceHDR to
create
an .HDR file, or even something like Enfuse for exposure fusion).

There are a couple of types of images. Multiple exposures of night photography
for star trails, multiple exposures during daylight of grasses blowing in the
wind. I've only used HDR a couple of times and I haven't seen the need for any
more than 5 exposures, generally I've taken just 3 so that number of images is
not of concern.

--
jrickards (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)