Re: [Gimp-user] "Best" format for multiple layers

On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 22:41 +0200, jrickards wrote:

but I'm wondering if, because JPG files are smaller (not as good
quality as TIFF
or PNG even tho I set export quality to 100%), would my system handle
these images better in JPG format?

No. Once ncompressed into memory they are the same size. You may save
memory because JPEG images do not have a transparency channel
("alpha"), but if your PNG files are saved without alpha there will be
no difference. The jpg files might load into GIMP slightly more
quickly.

Alternatively, if I have 20 images, could I blend 4 groups of 5 at a
time, then blend the 4 groups into one image, would that be a
suitable compromise.

It depends on the compositing (blending) function. Try and see?

For using GIMP on large files with low memory, experiment with setting
the "tile size" in preferences to e.g. 3GBytes, and making sure no
other programs are running (e.g. no Web browser, word processor,
database server...).

Many laptops can be fitted with additoinal RAM, and this is often a
cost-effective upgrade - assuming it's a 64-bit OS. Sometimes you can
even find a similar model of laptop on eBay more cheaply than the cost
of the memory in it.

slave ankh