Re: [Gimp-user] "Best" format for multiple layers

What type of blending are you looking to do?  Is it manual blending with
masks in GIMP or combining multiple exposures for some other reason?

I only ask because if it's multiple stacked images to create HDR there's
other tools that might be better suited for the job (LuminanceHDR to create
an .HDR file, or even something like Enfuse for exposure fusion).