[Gimp-user] "Best" format for multiple layers

HI:

I have about 20 photos (tripod mounted) that I'd like to blend. I'm running
Linux Mint 19.1 and I know that my laptop, having only 4gb ram at the moment, is
rather weak but let's just go with that.

I have tried something similar in the past and it failed so I moved on. I was
exporting from darktable into PNG format and then importing as multiple layers
but I'm wondering if, because JPG files are smaller (not as good quality as TIFF
or PNG even tho I set export quality to 100%), would my system handle these
images better in JPG format?

Alternatively, if I have 20 images, could I blend 4 groups of 5 at a time, then
blend the 4 groups into one image, would that be a suitable compromise. Yes,
more steps than blending once but if the result is similar, for the sake of my
system's limitations, might this be a reasonable alternative method?

Thanks

--
jrickards (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)