Re: [Gimp-user] New Version of GIMP

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Firstly when reducing the size of an image why is the smaller image less sharp? surely it should be more
sharp not less!

Not really, no. It shouldn't, although it would be nice :) Also, the
level of sharpness depends on the interpolation method. NoHalo
generally works well.

Just one more clarification here.

Personally, I was never happy with any of the interpolation methods
prior to 2.10 when downscaling. Clearly, I wasn't imagining things,
seeing how people came up with stuff like
http://www.gimphelp.org/other_step-resize.html.

So whenever I was not happy with sharpness after downscaling, I had to
use tricks like blurring, downscaling with Linear, then sharpening.

These days, I just mostly use NoHalo and, when I really need it, I
apply High Pass on a duplicate of the original layer in Linear Light
blending mode and ca. 30% opacity.

Alex