Re: [Gimp-user] New Version of GIMP

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:30 PM, John Smith wrote:
Hi
I've been using GIMP for years and think it's great but I'm less than happy with the recent versions and
have reverted to using the 2017 (2.8.22) version due to numerous issues I've experienced using the newer
versions.
I'm sure that there are answers to all of the problems and you're probably going to say RTFM or similar but
often it's easier to post rather than spending hours trying to find a solution when there may not be one!

Hi John,

Firstly when reducing the size of an image why is the smaller image less sharp? surely it should be more
sharp not less!

Not really, no. It shouldn't, although it would be nice :) Also, the
level of sharpness depends on the interpolation method. NoHalo
generally works well.

The older version of Gimp sharpens the image when reducing the image size

I'm not sure it does.

and seems to retain image sharpness even when increasing the image size quite significantly.

That is extremely arguable :)

When copying part of an image why can't I paste it multiple times with one click?.This could be done easily
on the previous version but it now requires the image to be copied and pasted every time

Can't confirm that.

Debian Linux, GIMP 2.10.7 (meaning, fresh from development tree). Can
paste multiple times just fine. I also did just that with earlier
2.10.x releases. What's your OS and GIMP 2.10.x version?

The old version of GIMP has an excellent image sharpener with a preview so you can adjust the sharpening up
or down why does the new version only have an "unsharp"? mode which sharpens the image but does not seem to
provide any degree of adjustment

If Radius, Amount, and Threshold are not "any degree of enhancement",
then what is?

and does not sharpen the image as well as the older version?

Would it be insane to suggest that you might need some time to master
Unsharp Mask?

When using the airbrush the old version was really good and was very easy to blend in as required but the
new version has a very difficult to use selector

I'm sorry, selecting? That isn't what the Airbrush does, to the best
of my knowledge.

Alex