[Gimp-user] New Version of GIMP

Hi
I've been using GIMP for years and think it's great but I'm less than happy with the recent versions and have
reverted to using the 2017 (2.8.22) version due to numerous issues I've experienced using the newer versions.
I'm sure that there are answers to all of the problems and you're probably going to say RTFM or similar but
often it's easier to post rather than spending hours trying to find a solution when there may not be one!
Firstly when reducing the size of an image why is the smaller image less sharp? surely it should be more
sharp not less! The older version of Gimp sharpens the image when reducing the image size and seems to retain
image sharpness even when increasing the image size quite significantly. The new version of GIMP does neither.
When copying part of an image why can't I paste it multiple times with one click?.This could be done easily
on the previous version but it now requires the image to be copied and pasted every time which is incredibly
time consuming.
The old version of GIMP has an excellent image sharpener with a preview so you can adjust the sharpening up
or down why does the new version only have an "unsharp"? mode which sharpens the image but does not seem to
provide any degree of adjustment and does not sharpen the image as well as the older version?
When using the airbrush the old version was really good and was very easy to blend in as required but the new
version has a very difficult to use selector (it's really unclear which part of the image you're selecting)
and is far too aggressive in use and does not provide anywhere near the same results.
I'm sure there are solutions to these issues but if not I'm happy to continue using the old version.
Thanks

---