[Gimp-user] At 100%, my selection hasn't the size it should have

So if I understand well, to have the printed dimensions I want, it is
not necessary to resize the image or play with the scale tool. All the

-----snip------

I tried to figure out how I could get the same result by only changing
the ppi. Is there a calculation that allows to get the same result
that with the first method ?

A simple proportion calculation similar to scaling the image.

Open the Print size dialogue: Image -> Print size and note the print resolution.

Use the the measure tool to get a size for the known dimension.

Then it is measured size divided by known multiplied by existing print
resolution. see example.

Enter the result in the print size dialogue and ok it

Check the known dimension again with the measure tool. see example.

Note that the size of the image - top of window - remains the same. the image
has not been scaled only the information sent to the printer.

Notes on printing:

If using Windows Gimp is not good at printing. Use some other application. I use
linux and that is a little better.

Some printers enforce small margins. Your 100% A4 size image might be scaled by
the printer to 95% Nothing to with Gimp up to you to ensure a suitable image
size.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/792/original/proportion.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/793/original/newsize.jpg