[Gimp-user] Gimp channel mixer

When I open (I don't see an Import option) a tiff file I don't get asked whether
I want to open it as layers. This was a file that I exported as tiff from GIMP.

Which program was used to save the tiff file that you are opening? Could it have
saved the thumbnail as a separate layer rather than as a thumbnail?

If so and this ends up as the active layer it would be the one that the channel
mixer altered as noted in your first post. This would agree with you saying that
the channel mixer will work on the background if you select it.

If the thumbnail is actually a different layer you could simply delete the
layer.

(I have just checked that when I use Export As to save a jpg as a tiff the
advanced option to save the thumbnail is selected but I don't see the same
problem when I open the saved file with GIMP.)

The problem is not the channel mixer, if I select background I can use
the channel mixer OK, but the thumbnail is still in the image, my
problem therefore is importing the image properly, why is the image
being imported as two pages?

Thankyou for replying so quickly earlier, I did not expect to receive
a reply on a Saturday evening, I have been looking at a computer for
too long now, I'm going for a beer, will log on later.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)