Re: [Gimp-user] Help with Cropping

* SayCheeze <forums gimpusers com> [05-25-17 16:52]:
8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.

If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do
not
need additional steps.

If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you
want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become
necessary.

Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain
after the crop?
There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check
the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.
Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Hello Micheal.  I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio.  So
from what I've read, I have to convert  what I want the end result to be, i.e.
size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size
crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target
with regard to a crop.  My editing for my images are relatively minimal in
nature.

I crop 8x10
Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent]  in all 4 corners usually
I sharpen them
Save to .jpg for my lab to print proofs.

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual
crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's
11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

or you could use ratio for crop parameters

amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in learning
how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did bother
to learn to use.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo