[Gimp-user] Help with Cropping

The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to understand why
the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

That camera has a 18MP sensor and should produce images around the 5000 x 3600
pixel mark. Of course you can set a camera up to take much smaller sizes but my
guess is you have got a built-in thumbnail rather than the actual image. What
format is the image, jpeg or RAW (.CRW .CR2)?

If the image format is RAW then use the Canon software that comes with the
camera to convert it for editing. There are plugins for Gimp that handle RAW
images but the camera makers software will be best.

Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches) it
appears
that the size of the file is less than an inch in each direction.

The attached screenshot is my 18MP lumix. The important bit is the size in
pixels at the top. Then go into Image -> Print Size and see what it says there.
Come back and give the equivalent values of your image.

All I want to do is produce a photo that will fit into an 8*10 frame...one
frustrated user ;-)

I could write a 1000 words on this but I am not going to. This little video
shows it all in 4 minutes.

https://youtu.be/UuvsAT9rQ08

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments: