Re: [Gimp-user] image alignment/registration

Then I take the resulting output.tif file, open it in gimp, change the
precision to 8 or 16bit, and remove the alpha channel (right-click the
layer). This is the result of that process:
http://caseyconnor.org/pub/image/aligned_and_medianed.tif
It certainly looks very good!
However, it's not clear after all, if you used gmic after align_stack or just
applied it directly to the original frames.

I did align_image_stack, and then applied gmic to the aligned frames.

I'm using the latest developing version, 2.9.something, and it already supports,
at least, 16-bit images. Not sure about 32-bit.

Yeah, it should work fine.

It's interesting to see that PS apparently handles lens distortion when aligning images -- those are impressive results. But maybe align_image_stack + gmic + gimp can work for you in some cases, too.

Good luck with it,
-c