[Gimp-user] How do you close the tool boxes?

Yes, I'm sure you gathered by the question that I'm totally new to
GIMP, lol.
I pulled up a tutorial for beginners and it said when you open gimp
you may see a lot of boxes open, close them all except the tool box
and the main window.
I can't find a way to close any of them!
I know... duh, right?? But there's no x, no "close", I can't move
them. I'm totally flummoxed!
I hope you can help a poor little ole newbie! :D

You have found yourself an old 'tutorial' that is probably giving poor advice
anyway.

After installing Gimp you might see something like the screenshot. Individual
'windows' - dialogs can be closed by clicking on the little left pointing arrow
which brings up a menu.

However

Gimp 2.8 has a single window mode which has certain advantages for beginners.
First thing you should do is in the gimp menu Windows click on Single Window
Mode which combines the default 3 windows into one.

For a demo of what you can do, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQz0zCyVFJU

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments: