[Gimp-user] Resizing

I need to take a digital image, resize it to a 2 x 2 inch image to fit into an ornament. What I previously
did in photoshop was to crop it to 2x2 inches, save it, then place it into a 4 x 6 new document, then save it
as a jpeg. Then I was able to send it to a photo lab to be printed. I have messed around with cropping my
image in gimp and its not sticking to the 2 x 2 inch photo that I need! Please help!