[Gimp-user] Trying to remove fading from old b&w photo

There's more than you might think, especially if you can scan at 16
bits per channel (16 bit grey or 48 colour), and are using rawtherapee
or darktable or the unstable 2.9 gimp.
You've lost some detail in the shadows but you've done really well in
the lower right. There are books about restoring old photos in
PhotoShop and many of the same techniques work in GIMP too.

One technique I've used that may help is to scan the picture twice,
rotating it through 90 or 100 degrees for the 2nd scan. This puts the
reflected light at a different angle. Then open the first scan in
gimp,
and use file->open as layers to bring in the 2nd, and experiment with
different layer modes or with making the top layer 50% opaque, in the
Layers dockable dialogue thingy.

Liam

Thanks Liam, I really am a complete novice at Gimping, but keen to learn more
and more. I'll check Photoshop for books. I'll also experiment with your idea of
scanning twice and then using layers. That sounds interesting! I think it helps
if one has a 'scientific-thinking' type of mind for photography, and Gimp. The
main thing is to keep learning and making notes! Many thanks again

--
Denzo (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)