Re: [Gimp-user] Trying to remove fading from old b&w photo

Sending questions to notifications@ is not necessary. :/

About your question, I'll offer my opinion.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM, Denzo <forums gimpusers com> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Ofnuts <ofnuts gmx com> wrote:
[...]
It's likely to be due to silver salts migration that make the surface
of
the photo reflective in the dark areas. Very hard to remove with an
image editor. The best cure to it to take a picture of the original
photo with a side lighting that isn't reflected back in the camera
lens

Doubly emphasize that.

Many thanks for that, I have actually managed to improve it quite a bit with
image editing, even though it took a while. I'll definitely store your
suggestion away for future reference.

This is something that many people do not understand.

Every edit you make to an image removes or alters some of the original
information in the image. That means that, if the image is important,
it's far better to rescan the image with a different light setting
than to try to "fix" it.

That is to say, if keeping the information in the image is important,
it's better to re-scan it or take another photo with a different light
source/setting.

On the other hand, if your intent is primarily artistic instead, you
may well prefer the effects of editing.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: