[Gimp-user] Trying to remove fading from old b&w photo

Sending questions to notifications@ is not necessary. :/

About your question, I'll offer my opinion.
Doubly emphasize that.
This is something that many people do not understand.

Every edit you make to an image removes or alters some of the original
information in the image. That means that, if the image is important,
it's far better to rescan the image with a different light setting
than to try to "fix" it.

That is to say, if keeping the information in the image is important,
it's better to re-scan it or take another photo with a different light
source/setting.

On the other hand, if your intent is primarily artistic instead, you
may well prefer the effects of editing.

In the photo I was working on the photo was so poor in places that I couldn't
actually see much detail - so not a lot to lose. My restoration attempt isn't
perfect but I think looks far better. It's to be used in a family ancestry book.
Before and after pics attached. (I have a basic scanner and need to learn about
scanning with different light settings which I didn't actually know existed).
Many thanks for your input!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/337/original/MAY_family_400dpi.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/338/original/MAY_family_trial_3.jpg