Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On 7/22/16, Gene Heskett <gheskett shentel net> wrote:
Greetings all

I did, after 20 minutes of screwing around, finally get it to use a
selected foreground color for the text.

But when I hit the help menu, up pops the help for 2.6!  So I fire up
synaptic and check to see if I am out of date, because the "context
help" doesn't work at all.  Yup, I'm up to date allright, got gimp-2.8.2
but the doc files are for 2.6.x.  Debian wheezy at your service, NOT.

Anyway, the next problem is that I can't find a tool that will let me
draw freehand lines so I can make a few arrows that point from a line of
text to a feature in the image.  Or maybe even draw a balloon around the
text pointing at the feature.

Hi.. CC'ing GIMP User, but I don't know if it will go through. So if
this does go through.. Hey All, HUGE FAN for *MANY* years, #ThankYou!
That said, I JUST yesterday stumbled on something that mostly
accomplished this although it wasn't quite what I was looking for
myself.

In the one toolbar that pops up with "CTRL-B (I think that's it, not
near that laptop to verify), I double click on the pen icon which
brings up selections of various pen types, shapes. For me in whatever
version is in Sid Unstable, there's a horizontal line choice near the
top of the pen shapes.

Once clicked, I was offered the option to change its horizontal
thickness (not its length that I noticed, anyway). For what I was
doing, I liked its effect because its final thickness varied with how
you dragged it across screen. If that doesn't fit your need, maybe one
of the other shapes while get you what you need.

That last little popup after double clicking the pen was a
hit-and-miss find in last couple years. Kind of a hail Mary deal where
that little window no longer was present where I remembered it used to
just be there by magic ages ago. May be a preference setting I'm just
missing. The hail Mary was I double clicked that icon as a desperate
last play, and that window popped up = WOOHOO! :D

Good luck!

Cindy (Sue)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey