Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On Saturday 23 July 2016 05:41:29 Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 07/22/2016 10:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
But when I hit the help menu, up pops the help for 2.6!  So I fire
up synaptic and check to see if I am out of date, because the
"context help" doesn't work at all.  Yup, I'm up to date allright,
got gimp-2.8.2 but the doc files are for 2.6.x.  Debian wheezy at
your service, NOT.

Well, actually you are not up-to-date at all - this is because you
choose to run the oldstable Debian release.

This also means you're missing most of the bug fixes that have
happened in 2.8 since 2.8.2 has been released (minus some security
fixes, maybe).

Did this train lose its conductor a few stops back?  Or how can I
back it up to when it Just Worked(TM) quite a bit of the time?

You should check whether you can and want to upgrade to a more current
Debian release. Or, in train terms: check if you want to board a train
that is actually going somewhere, instead of the museum train that's
running around in circles on its closed track.

True, but I am stuck with a distribution that can run LinuxCNC, which has
a need for a real time capable kernel. The guys are working on it but so
far have not managed to get good enough IRQ response with kernels post
3.4.9-55 to run stepper motors direct, they have to be delegated to
specialized control cards that run from $90 to 3 or 400, depending on
the complexity of the machine being controlled.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)