[Gimp-user] Need help removing/replacing a color

Several ways to get some sort of result. Try:

Duplicate layer
Desaturate (luminosity) the top layer
Add a layermask to the top (desaturated) layer
Paint (carefully) in black to uncover the red areas, white to cover up
again.
see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html

When complete save as a gimp xcf to retain layers, mask etc. When
happy, export as a png / or ...whatever.

attached xcf as example.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I think I should clarify and state that I'm very new to this program and thus am
clueless as to what the different tools are and what all they do.

That being said, I followed your directions.  I still wasn't able to make the
icon look like I want it to.  (Actually, I'm not sure if I did or not.  I tried
selecting the view/lock on each layer and then the view/lock on both layers and
wasn't able to see exactly what it would look like if I exported it, so I left
it alone.)  I think the issue is in which mask layer I'm selecting.  I tried the
black and then white mask layer and using the black and white paint on them
both, and, well, I'm not really sure what it did besides add a square besides
one layer in the Layer dock.  Since I can't tell if I'm making progress or not,
I didn't try the others.  I assume the top layer is supposed to be the
desaturated one with the section where the red would be removed, but no matter
what I select, the mask layer keeps getting added to the colored layer.

I've attached a snapshot of what this all looks like.

I'd really appreciate further explanation about what to do from here (from
anyone who's reading).

Thanks.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/421/original/Keeper_sample_2.png