[Gimp-user] Need help removing/replacing a color

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I think I should clarify and state that I'm very new to this program
and thus am clueless as to what the different tools are and what all
they do.

That being said, I followed your directions.  I still wasn't able to
make the icon look like I want it to.  (Actually, I'm not sure if I
did or not.  I tried selecting the view/lock on each layer and then
the view/lock on both layers and wasn't able to see exactly what it
would look like if I exported it, so I left it alone.)  I think the
issue is in which mask layer I'm selecting.  I tried the black and
then white mask layer and using the black and white paint on them
both, and, well, I'm not really sure what it did besides add a square
besides one layer in the Layer dock.  Since I can't tell if I'm making
progress or not, I didn't try the others.  I assume the top layer is
supposed to be the desaturated one with the section where the red
would be removed, but no matter what I select, the mask layer keeps
getting added to the colored layer.

I've attached a snapshot of what this all looks like.

I'd really appreciate further explanation about what to do from here
(from anyone who's reading).

Thanks.

Oh, I see now that you attached an example.  Thanks!  I'll try to do what you
did and will come back if it still doesn't work for me.

--
RunSebastian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)