Re: [Gimp-user] Bug in "arrow" plugin, possible bug with tear-off menus

On 12/19/2016 09:04 AM, mark_at_yahoo via gimp-user-list wrote:
So this is a longstanding bug? I vaguely remember doing it
sans-workaround "way back when" == unknown version.

Late-breaking news: I went into my personal, "posts I found interesting enough to save" archives of this list and found a 2004 notice about removing tear-off menu configuration from the preferences dialog. I had already looked there in 2.8 and there was nothing.

I just now experimented and found that adding "(tearoff-menus no)" to my ~/.gimp-2.8/gimprc *does* turn them off; the "------" line at the top of the secondary menu no longer appears. Setting it back to "yes" re-enables them, as of course does leaving out the tag completely. The tag isn't in any of the system-wide configuration files (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/*/gtkrc on my distro) so I'm guessing the compiled-in default is "yes".

So it's still in the codebase, just probably dusty and untouched for 10+ years.

Sorry for the spam -- likely nobody's interested in any of this -- but thanks again to Steve for helping me out.