Re: [Gimp-user] Strugglign with Smooth Edges

Hi again,
Sorry I haven't responded sooner but my main computer took a dump and am
just checking my mail from my laptop.
I'm not exactly sure what you are having trouble with, but it kinda
sounds like you are not understanding how paths work.

The path you created is available to use on any layer. They are
completely separate from your regular layers.
So say you wanted to create your footprint on a transparent background.
You would just create a new layer in your layers menu, and choose
transparent. (either click the new layer icon at the bottom of the
layers menu, or Layer > New Layer from the main menu.)

Select that new layer and then go to the paths menu to select the path
you just made. (You don't have to turn the visibility on for the path,
just make sure that the path layer is highlighted.) Then use the path to
selection button like I showed in the video to make your marching ants.
Now go back to the layers menu and fill the marching ants with whatever
color you want.

Of course you can also make a new layer with any colored background you
like and do the same thing. You can have as many layers as you like with
footprints on all of them in all kinds of different color combinations.
When you find something you like, just turn off the visibility of every
other layer except the one you like, and then export that image. Make
sure you save the image as a .png file if you are using transparency.
Otherwise, you will probably want to export as a jpg.

I hope that's what what you were having trouble with. If not, try to
explain again and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers.