[Gimp-user] Strugglign with Smooth Edges

I'd prefer the XCF... hard to tell from the result... but since the
alpha is constant (144), it could be that your bucket-fill tool isn't
at
full opacity.

OK, I'm losing the will to live with this now! I started out with the first
attached image - a photograph of a blue paint footprint. I then used the path
tool and once I had completed the path of the footprint and toes, I did
CTRL+SHIFT+G then pressed ENTER. After this, I did right click - edit - fill
with FG colour (pink). Then, I did add alpha channel. The edges are STILL jagged
and there is a greyish outline around the image.

I just don't know where I am going wrong! It's like I've mastered how to smooth
out the lines using the path tool, but something I do afterwards is making the
edges all jagged. I need the image to be .png with transparent background.

Can you tell me where I am going wrong please? It's getting increasingly more
urgent and I just don't seem to be getting it no matter how much I practice!
Thank you x

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/151/original/Eliza_and_Theo.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/152/original/ElizPrintFromPath.png