Re: [Gimp-user] [Gimp-developer] Time to fork BABL and GEGL

On 11/18/2014 11:00 AM, Elle Stone wrote:
Convincing the babl/GEGL/GIMP devs of anything regarding color
management has never been easy. For example, in 2013 I tried to explain
why there is a difference between device Y vs ICC profile D50-adapted Y:

*
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2013-September/msg00113.html
and eight follow-up messages
* http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-luminance.html.

Michael Henning did understand and did make appropriate changes to
babl's hard-coded sRGB Y values. But I doubt whether any of the other
devs understood; if they did, babl wouldn't still use D65 device sRGB to
convert to XYZ before converting to LAB, and GIMP wouldn't still be full
of hard-coded D65 device sRGB Y values. See:

Sorry, typo, the "See:" is misplaced. It should read:

Convincing the babl/GEGL/GIMP devs of anything regarding color management has never been easy. For example, in 2013 I tried to explain why there is a difference between device Y vs ICC profile D50-adapted Y See:

* https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2013-September/msg00113.html and eight follow-up messages
* http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-luminance.html.

Michael Henning did understand and did make appropriate changes to babl's hard-coded sRGB Y values. But I doubt whether any of the other devs understood; if they did, babl wouldn't still use D65 device sRGB to convert to XYZ before converting to LAB, and GIMP wouldn't still be full of hard-coded D65 device sRGB Y values.

Elle