Re: [Gimp-user] Time to fork BABL and GEGL

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
My apologies, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you give
links to specific mailing list threads? Are you perhaps again saying that my
yellow flower image is a corner case and therefore it's OK to write an image
editor that makes it literally impossible for me to perform my envisioned
conversion to black and white?

I was saying that one can construct a scene, that photographed with
your camera, would yield the type of desired black and white - when
done in sRGB or some other non sensor RGB space. So yes; for the
purposes of black and white conversion and using a single channel for
it - I still call that image a corner case.

* "backseat driver"

* "half-knowledgeable filibusterer" (I'm only guessing that was directed at
me; perhaps I'm wrong)

* suggesting on IRC that I'm "insulting GIMP" (which I have never done, GIMP
is my favorite RGB image editor) when really I'm questioning your
understanding of the requirements for proper RGB image editing

* suggesting that because I agree that you are intelligent (obviously you
are), therefore I should stop trying to educate you about where your color
management theories took a wrong turn and are threatening to take GIMP with
them.

You are quoting later venting of frustration with your later walls of
text on the mailinglists questioning and demanding answers for every
single little detail before details even exist. One of your quotes
isn't even from IRC; and guess what, if you were on IRC I would have
asked you questions there instead of venting frustration about your
mailinglist posts.

I ask for an assumption of good faith, that the babl/GEGL developers
know what they are doing and have incorporated your input from April
on out how multiply and gamma produce undesirable results for values
outside the 0.0-1.0 range working with unbounded sRGB. That we want to
and will incorporate that in the color management model of GEGL. A
model that differs from how traditional ICC based photo editors
traditionally work, GEGL has both internal (babl) and external (ICC)
color management; and you have correctly pointed out that the internal
color management is lacking and needs to take more RGB spaces into
account.

/pippin