[Gimp-user] Fonts, Windows 8 and GIMP 2.8.4

So this doesn't work because of the . in there (but why would it work
on
all other windows versions then?)?

Michael,
The "dot" in there is a typing error.My mistake,sorry.
I am NOT a programmer, so what I found out is by trial&error.
It would seem  the solution lies in the exact path to the windows\fonts
directory,
in both the fonts.conf   file and the user preference settings.They must match.
In my "fonts.conf file" the fonts section starts at line nr.24 .Here's what I
found out:

ORIGINAL FONTS CONF.FILE :
Line 24 :  <!-- Font directory list -->
Line 25 :
Line 26 :       <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>

I CHANGED THESE LINES TO READ LIKE THIS:
Line 24:  <!-- Font directory list -->
Line 25:
Line 26:         <!--<dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>
Line 27: <dir>C:\WINDOWS\FONTS>

Line 25 is blank. I commented out line 26 and added line 27, the path to my
windows\fonts directory.
Added the path in Preferences etc. and moved it to the first position of the
list in the fonts settings dialog box.
The list itself was created at installation of the program, it looks like.
I am using gimp in single window mode,with text toolbox opened.Type text,select
text,chose font.
Good luck,hope it works on your computer,too
Sorry for the typo, BasBeiter

--
BBeiter (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)