Re: [Gimp-user] gimpx? possible malicious software using Gimp name

On 25.05.2013 19:22, Michael Strout wrote:
Hi all,
      I just received a text message on google voice with something which
was made to look like a failed image embed that led to this page
http://imgsend.com/?photo=792MBQ which talked about requiring a gimp photo
viewer for a .JPG.GMP file.  Links lead to a gimpx.org domain which thing
looks like a malicious site crafted to fool windows users into installing
malware to me.

Yes, it is. See
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2012-August/msg00074.html for an analysis, with slightly different urls.

If I'm incorrect and this is somehow a valid tool please let me know to set
my mind at ease.

This isn't a valid tool. Most likely a trojan.

If not, does anyone know if there's something that can be done about it?

Educating users would be the best approach. Any suggestions how to phrase a warning for www.gimp.org/downloads?

--
Regards,
Michael