Re: [Gimp-user] DON'T HATE the new save vs. export behavior

> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:19:43 -0400
> From: daniel yacg com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] DON'T HATE the new save vs. export behavior
>
> That said, I am concerned about meta data. If there was meta data when
> imported, there should be at least the option of preserving the meta
> data. I'd like to see that added into the code if it's not already
> there somehow. Sometimes I like it when there are GPS coordinates in a
> picture, for example, because a lot of other programs will pick up on
> it... for example, web galleries might pick that up and when I want
> travel, having the GPS data available will allow me to map travels and
> such. Also, date/time and which camera I used is also useful
> information at times. What difference does it make if I enhance the
> image in some way? I still want to keep the meta data with the image.

GIMP preserves EXIF metadata when exporting as JPG - the option is there on the Export dialog and it's checked by default.  I agree on the point though - whether or not GIMP needs to load the metadata in an image is distinct from whether the user cares about having that metadata.  If you open a TIF file, what happens to the metadata when you export, and especially if you overwrite?

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com