Re: [Gimp-gui] Rust Support and Suggestions

Hi,

On 2019-08-30 15:34, Sherif Ahmad wrote:
Hi Jehan,
 Your reply was fast. 🙂

Ok so now it is about GIMP, so I let this one pass willingly. But please consider subscribing if you wish to continue discuss this topic:

I don't really want to spend my time manually validate each and every one of your emails. :-)

 Regarding Gimp, the suggestions could inspire it to considering:

        * Allowing Rust extensions.

Technically we now have everything allowing Rust extensions because our plug-in API is now fully introspected. This is how we added JavaScript, Python3 and Lua support in a breeze.

If I understood correctly though, Rust is different as these, as it is a compiled language, hence require some specific binding creation (we don't just gain support by just having introspection). Now if someone wants to contribute this binding, we'd be more than happy to support Rust plug-ins. Actually I have even myself suggested that it would be wanted several times.

For the record, we know someone has been working on a Vala binding, which apparently is in the same case as Rust and needs the additional step.

        * Making a Wasm version for browsers, even though I don't expect this
to be easy.

Is it to say a web-version of GIMP? It doesn't feel as a priority to me but that would be cool obviously and anyone is free to make such fun project come true!

Wasn't there a web backend for GTK+ at some point which was already able to "compile" a GTK+ program (hence possibly GIMP) into a web application by the way?

After thinking, I think I might have been against C, so you don't need
to take it seriously. Also, I'm not a Gimp developer.

No but you could become one. We accept patches with pleasure. :-)

Jehan

Sincerely,
Sherif Ali.

-------------------------

FROM: Jehan <jehan girinstud io>
 SENT: Friday, August 30, 2019 3:22 PM
 TO: gimp-gui-list gnome org <gimp-gui-list gnome org>
 CC: Sherif Ahmad <she7631 hotmail com>
 SUBJECT: Re: [Gimp-gui] Rust Support and Suggestions

Hi Sherif,

 Why is GIMP mailing list in Cc? Was it a mistake?

 Also your email got stuck because you are apparently not subscribed
 the mailing list. I still let the email pass through because it is
 obviously not a spam. Yet it seems totally off-topic with GIMP. Not
sure
 I'll let other unsubscribed message go through, unless you also tell
us
 how it has any relationship with us. :-)

 Jehan

 On 2019-08-30 14:49, Sherif Ahmad via gimp-gui-list wrote:
 > ​Dear Gnome,
 >
 > I suggest you support Rust in Gnome Builder:
 >
 > * Cargo support: Clicking Run or build calls Rustc not Cargo's
 > running or building commands.
 > * RLS support: Take advantage of all Info. RLS presents and improve
 > auto-completion and other IDE functions.
 >
 > * Create Builder plugins in Rust.
 >
 > Since Gnome Builder is in C with good GUI, it can be a better
option
 > than Intellij which performs slowly, consume a lot of RAM and its
GUI
 > isn't well-configured for each language.
 >
 > Also, I suggest you support GTK-rs [1] officially.
 > Rust is better and safer than C and C++, so lots of people are
 > interested in it. Some Gnome developers may decide to port their
 > programs to Rust.
 >
 > Since Rust supports Wasm [2], it could be possible to build to GTK
and
 > Gnome applications that run on the web.
 > Gnome could enter a new field.
 >
 > Sincerely,