Re: [Gimp-gui] Possible places to save vertical space in Single (and Multiple) Window Mode

On 12/30/2017 12:00 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
what about
collapsing groups for related sliders etc? E.g. i shouldn't have to
scroll down in the box to change the dodge tool from highlights to
shadows (which i do often) or to add/remove jitter from painting. Or
maybe i should, i'd rathern't.

Yes, checking all the paint tools, the dodge/burn tool has the longest dialog.

RawTherapee has the option to collapse individual subsets of options, and this helps a lot when trying to navigate through vast terrain of the RT user interface. The main reason I find this useful in RT (aside from making the scrollbar shorter - RT has a *lot* of dialogs) is because personally I don't use most of what RT offers in the way of editing options, as I prefer to edit using GIMP.

For GIMP's paint tools, personally I probably wouldn't use a "collapse/uncollapse" dialog even if it were available, because in GIMP I do use all the available paint tool options. So collapsing groups within the dialog would require clicking to open/close groups instead of just scrolling up and down.

But for use with small screens or for people who only use a few of the available options for any given tool, then collapsible groups might help quite a lot.

So maybe best to focus on not a more compact view but a more usable
view?

Yes. I was asking about "more compact" because it takes less clicking if all the relevant options for the relevant tool dialogs are available without having to scroll up and down or back and forth inside the dialog box.

This is an alternative "two-pane" arrangement that I've experimented with, using "F11" in Single Window Mode: https://ninedegreesbelow.com/files/two-pane-toolbox.png

My specific goal is to set up a "square area" for editing/painting, because I'm just as likely to work with portrait or square ratios as with landscape ratios. And then have all the dialogs relevant to painting visible at once (I use the paint tools even when I'm editing photographs). So when using a brush tool, this also means being able to pick a brush, modify the dynamics, set the color (which I usually do using the Change Foreground Colors dialog from the toolbox), and then make sure I'm actually painting on the intended layer.

The "two-pane" dialog pictured in the screenshot somewhat (drastically) shortchanges the layers dialog because it requires scrolling to see all the layers and sometimes (usually) my layer stacks are complex. If I can't see the layers dialog it's too easy for me to accidentally modify the wrong layer, so this arrangement works, but does require more scrolling in the layers dialog than I'd prefer.

There seems to be a fair amount of "padding" between the vertically arranged options at the bottom of the various paint tool options dialogs. Maybe there could be less padding, or maybe free-floating check boxes such that for example the "Dodge" and "Burn" check boxes could be side by side if the dialog box is sufficiently wide.

I'd be very interested to see how other people - especially people who paint or draw using GIMP - solve the task of setting up the workspace to show "everything relevant, all at once".

Elle