Re: [Gimp-gui] Possible places to save vertical space in Single (and Multiple) Window Mode

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Elle Stone wrote:
Hi All,

After years of using GIMP in Multiple Window Mode, I'm thinking about
switching to Single Window Mode - the "sticking point" is not enough
vertical space in Single Window Mode.

Hi Elle,

I have to admit I understood most of your email as "let's cram it all
until UI elements are indistinguishable from each other" :)

1. A good quarter-inch of empty space above the tool icons - could this
space be removed?

Or you can add (toolbox-wilber no) to gimprc.

2. I like having the "Foreground & background colors" dialog be in the tool
box, but look at all the wasted horizontal space.

The space looks wasted, because you created such a wide group of
dockable dialogs :)

If this icon could be made the same height as all the tool icons, and also simply float in line with
the other tool icons, then vertical space could be saved.

At 16x16, the FG/BG widget will most likely be not very usable. While
tools can be switched via shortcuts, the widget is a mouse pointer /
tablet stylus target.

3. I think the extra space around the Tool Options sliders is currently
determined by the system font size.

Vertical padding between sliders is tiny! Sliders are just a few
pixels apart. An extra 1px is not the problem here, the height of the
sliders is.

4. Same as above: The opacity slider has too much vertical padding.

Same as above :)

5. It seems to me that a tiny bit of extra vertical space could be saved by
decreasing the vertical padding surrounding the icons at the bottom of the
various Toolbox panels.

Not much though.

6. This is the biggie, literally. It would be nice to have the option to not
have the image window tabs at all. But if having these tabs is a
requirement, at least make the tab height and tab icons as small as
possible. Is there a place in Preferences that controls this icon size? It's
huge! Where in the code is the tab/icon size set?

Um, huge? It's more like regular :) And it depends on the size ratio
of the first image you opened, it could be tiny.

Either way, there recently was a discussion to introduce filenames for
tab captions as an alternative to previews. I hope that's going to
happen. And yes, I agree that smaller previews could be introduced
too.

7. Same as 5 - it seems like maybe a little less vertical padding could be
used here, though of course there is the option to not show the task bar at
all.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you keep scrollbars in the image window
around. They account for a lot more screen space than 7. Unless you an
me understand padding differently, of course.

Moreover, you could shave just a little more pixels by switching to
text captions instead of icon captions for dockable dialogs.

In general, I completely agree that things could be tidier, I just
don't think vertical padding between elements is our main enemy here
:)

Alex