Re: [Gimp-gui] Possible places to save vertical space in Single (and Multiple) Window Mode

Am Freitag, 29. Dezember 2017, 16:32:49 CET schrieb Elle Stone:
Hi All,

Hi!

After years of using GIMP in Multiple Window Mode, I'm thinking about
switching to Single Window Mode - the "sticking point" is not enough
vertical space in Single Window Mode.

Here's a screenshot showing several possible places for saving vertical
space in Single Window Mode:

https://ninedegreesbelow.com/files/possible-places-to-save-vertical-space-in
-single-window-mode.png

[...]

3. I think the extra space around the Tool Options sliders is currently
determined by the system font size. So choosing a larger font
automatically increased the "padding". I really need a largish font to
be able to read the slider text. But the extra padding means wasted
vertical space.
      If the padding could be independent of the font, and possibly be
user-settable, that would be very helpful. It would also be helpful to
have the option to set the font size. It seems right now the only way to
set the font size is by modifying the user's (hidden) .gtkrc-2.0 file,
which of course affects many more programs than just GIMP.

4. Same as above: The opacity slider has too much vertical padding.

It would be nice if sliders could be made smaller indeed.

[...]

6. This is the biggie, literally. It would be nice to have the option to
not have the image window tabs at all. But if having these tabs is a
requirement, at least make the tab height and tab icons as small as
possible. Is there a place in Preferences that controls this icon size?
It's huge! Where in the code is the tab/icon size set?

This one annoys me most. When only having a single image open the tabs should
probably not shown at all. Or is a single tab good for anything that is not
obvious?

[...]

Actually, except for "6", all these "vertical space saving
possibilities" also apply to Multiple Window Mode. Especially when using
the Paint tools, the Tool options dialog is very "tall" and every bit of
vertical space that can be saved helps avoid the dreaded scrollbar.

Besides 3./4. and 6. I don't mind the extra space, it helps separate things
and is less clutter than horizontal lines.

Elle

Tobias