Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-web] Alexandre Prokoudine attacks on GIMP critics around the Web

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 5:42 AM Ryan Stark via gimp-developer-list wrote:

You know, I started having my suspicions while reading your first
email where you complained that GIMP tries to do everything, then
proceeded complaining it is focused on photo editing rather than doing
other things (mutually exclusive statements).

Mypaint is different from Gimp because obviously the brush engine is unique

It's not unique. Several applications now use MyPaint's brush engine,
including GIMP. And that isn't even the only "difference" between
MyPaint and GIMP. They are conceptually different applications. Surely
I don't need to tell you about things like the infinite canvas?

but if Gimp was better Krita would not be needed in my opinion.

People have always scratched their itches. What's the shocking news?

This is how audio programs gotdamaged on Linux. Several competing projects.

There is virtually zero competition among free/libre DAWs on Linux,
because there is just one functional DAW, which is Ardour.

Everything else with the sole exception for Qtractor does MIDI
sequencing and some score editing, with overly simplistic audio
editing, because everything else is stuck in the early 2000s when the
Linux crowd thought that separating MIDI from audio was the real deal,
and JACK would rule them all (it didn't).

Paul recognized the problem relatively early on, that's why MIDI
started being worked on around 2007.

If you think there is any competition, try recording multiple audio
inputs into MusE or Rosegarden using external control surfaces, with
VCA for track groups, do quick fades and crossfades, then tell me how
it worked for you.

Ardour should have been the open source DAW but will never ever compete now partly due to the arrogant
style of development ethos.

What are you even talking about? :)))

Open source audio is now completely dead because vastly superior commercial apps moved onto Linux.
There is absolutely no way now for an open source project to compete with
running for example Reaper on Linux.

Open source audio is so dead that Paul's development efforts are fully
funded every month long before the month is over, and he gives the
spare funds to other contributors. Robin is paid by Harrison to work
on both Mixbus and Ardour. And original MIxbus team contribute to
Ardour on regular basis. That's how dead it is.

Gimp tries to be Photoshop

It does not. I don't know where you are getting all these funny ideas from :)

Saying that a bezier tool is somehow a step further than a simple tool to
draw straight lines is the sort of crazy idea that is exactly the problem
with Gimp. In Photoshop and other apps you click a key command and draw a
single line or lots of lines anywhere without even seeing any tool on the
canvas.

You mean the latest Photoshop CC still has no clue how to show people
what they are drawing on the canvas? And that's great why, exactly?

It seems that in Gimp such a simple idea wasn't thought of. The
shift command for drawing straight lines in Gimp doesn't achieve the same
very simple task.

Yeah, better drawing tools are definitely in the plans. But If you
want us to show people blank canvas while they draw, then no, not
gonna happen.

Alex