Re: [Gimp-developer] Pencil - Tool Options and Hardness

On 06/22/2016 11:19 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM, C R wrote:

>Speaking as a digital painter (samples available upon request), I can tell
>you the Pencil tool does not replace a pencil brush. In fact, the pencil
>tool acts nothing like a pencil at all.:)  Could re-name it the
>"pixel-tool".... but it absolutely sucks at being a pencil in just about
>every way it possibly could.;)

Ah, the source of the confusion is here.

The Pencil, Brush, and Air Brush tools each do different things to whatever Brushtip+Dynamics they happen to be used with.

I was referring to the usefulness of the Pencil tool as doing "something different and sometimes very nice", compared to what the Brush tool does given the same "Brushtip+Dynamics" combination. I wasn't limiting the brushtip (correct terminology?) to the brushtips that intend to emulate pencil marks on paper.

I think you are saying that GIMP's Pencil tool is terrible at being digital replication of a physical pencil applied to actual paper? I rather suspect you might be right, that for many use cases the Brush tool is better for use as a "digital pencil".

If this is the case - if GIMP's Pencil tool is really bad for sketching or outlining or etc - maybe the Pencil tool simply needs a more descriptive name.

Best,
Elle